Collective bargaining is something that is referred to as a process or even negotiations between an organisation and an employer, and also a group of employees who are members of the union. The bargaining happens between the organisation and the employees. It is considered to be quite important. The union will actually negotiate with the employer or a group of businesses on behalf of the employee or multiple employees. It would usually encompass the negotiations depending on the number of hours that you have worked or even the health and safety measures. They would also consider any salaries and grievances among the employees of the union.
Even though it was introduced as early as 1891 and it has been in existence for more than a century, not all of it is perfect. There are a lot of advocates, and there are a lot of critics as well. All of them have significant views on the parties involved. The employers and the employees are the parties that are involved. If you want to have a better understanding, I will be discussing some pros and cons, down below.
- The employees are always prioritised. It is pro-employees. The advocates for collective bargaining will fight for hard-working people. The members of the trade unions will actually have to voice through the representatives of the unions who will aim to work for the betterment of the employee members such as higher wages, even shorter working hours and a work environment that is much safer that would include much better healthcare as well.
- You should also consider the fact that it keeps any abuse of employees completely powerless. Any employees that are abusive in nature will have absolutely no power, and they will not be getting their wages, because they will have to follow certain rules and regulations.
- It would also prevent the employees from going on strikes because the employees will be provided whatever they need. One of the most important thing that an employee would need in the workplace would be the safety, and their safety will definitely be taken care of.
- It will provide proper stability and security as well; two very important things.
- It is considered very prone to inequality. There can be a lot of cases of inequality because a lot of critics have concluded that collective agreement can actually lead to either the employers or the employees getting very less of what they actually deserve. If this particular representation is quite weak on the side of the employers, there are chances that the businesses will lose quite a bit of money over compensation for the benefits of the employees.
- It can actually be considered to be quite time-consuming.